Thursday, June 29, 2023

Day 8 Amy

Today was Sports Day at the Nambale Magnet School! From the moment we left the Karibu House this morning, the day was filled with high energy (and high temperatures). First thing, I joined my team, Team Cheetah, in one of the pre-primary classrooms. I was promptly put to work painting cheetah markings onto my teammate's faces. After ample time for team bonding and enthusiastic chanting, Team Cheetah rolled out for our grand entrance. Every team got to march (or run, cartwheel, or dance) onto the field to their choice of music. Then, the games were underway.

The morning was incredibly energetic as everyone cheered on their teammates in sack races and running races. A highlight of the morning was watching a highly competitive game of blindfolded four year olds crawl around the field looking for a ball. As the sun rose higher into the sky, the incredible heat began to set in. Naturally, many learners began to scatter, looking for shade, friends, and food (truly the essentials). I spent most of my morning under a tent, chatting with the many friends that I've made at this school. One thing I truly love about this school is how inclusive the students are of all ages. It's very common to see a group of learners ranging from 5 to 12 years old all laughing and playing with each other. I've made friends with children of all ages, and they're more than comfortable all chatting with me together.

Later in the day, I wandered into the pre-primary 1 class to say hi to the young learners (4-5 year olds) and the head teacher, Madame Petrenilla. Ever since I assisted in her class last Friday, Madame Petrenilla has always enthusiastically welcomed me back into her classroom. She proudly considers me the class's honorary second teacher :) Today happened to be a student's 5th birthday, so I got to celebrate with the class! There were many snacks and sweets for the class to enjoy, lots of songs and chanting, and fun drawings and balloons on the blackboard - quite the exciting celebration.

As the afternoon progressed and Sports Day started winding down (Team Cheetah won! Woo!!), parents were beginning to take students home. I finally had to acknowledge a hard truth: today was the last day, and these were the last moments, I'd get to spend time with all of my new friends. Emotions were certainly high as I said my final good bye's and exchanged heartfelt notes, hugs, and high fives with many students, especially Truphena, Beth, Ruby, and Sawyer. I'll never forget the look on some of their faces as they approached me - the first time I'd seen them teary-eyed.

Without students on campus, the evening was distinctly silent - an uncomfortable reminder of an aching absence in our lives. During our daily reflection, the permanence and gravity of everything that happened today finally set in. An emotional end to the day, to day the least.

As I reflect on my time with the kids, I'm so happy to truly have no regrets. It was incredibly fun and fulfilling laughing, learning, and playing with all the learners here. The kids' boundless, authentic love for everything in their lives - from their school, to their friends, to their food - is infectious and deeply moving, and certainly something I'll bring back to the Bay Area with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment