Thursday, June 22, 2023

Day 1--Gloria

We have spent more than a day of traveling. 4 flights, two of about 10 hours. After we finally landed in Nairobi, we had a two hour drive to the school and by then we were all exhausted. The entire drive I was looking out the window, fascinated by how different everything was from what I'm used to in America. There were motor bikes and taxis and huge trucks. We passed markets and houses and I was waved to a few times. When we arrived at the Nambale Magnet School we pulled our stuff off of the bus and just stood there for a second not knowing what to do. The Nambale Magnet School is in rural Kenya and is essentially a pre-K through 8th grade school. In Kenya though, they have sections for each group of children like pre-primary, primary, and secondary school. By the time we had arrived my mind had liquefied and it took me a minute to realize that I had just traveled halfway across the world. The littlest kids at the school noticed us and ran outside of their classroom and just waved to us. As we walked to our buildings all of the children would wave to us from their classrooms. Eventually, once we had rested enough to function, we finally went outside and were immediately swarmed by all of the children. When I say swarmed I mean SWARMED. I felt like a celebrity. I had children giving me a tour of the school and playing soccer and one girl even asked for my phone number so that she could call me when I went back home. We had dinner in our Karibo house and then joined the rest of the school as they sang songs after their dinner. It was a really great experience to watch all of them sing and I hope to learn some of the songs before the end of our stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment