Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Day 7 Thorne

Hey Everyone,

I'm Thorne, and I'm here to talk to you about yesterday, June 27th.

The 27th was our final full day with the kids, and we made the most of it.

When we woke up, we had Mike's soft-boiled eggs and hung out for awhile. Some of the kids had been in class since 4 in the morning, and they were preparing to head out to the field for their sports day practices.

I went to two eighth grade classes, math and social studies. Some things I learned about were the history of Kenya's colonization and when their first prime minister and president was put into office.

There are four sports day teams, the Cheetahs, the Tigers, the Jaguars, and the Leopards. I was a Jaguar myself, and we looked great out there. We would practice running from goal to goal, three-legged racing, and sack racing.

After lunch, I went to help make posters for my team to raise during our chant. We made some pretty amazing Jaguar drawings. 

When that was over, dinner was pretty much ready, and we had just recently learned that there was going to be entertainment around 7 (We had one on Saturday as well). Mike calls it a rave.

We ate rice and lentils for lunch, and we had beans and chapati for dinner. If you haven't heard about chapati yet, it's a type of naan/tortilla bread that you can have with almost anything.

After dinner we went to evening worship and prayers. One of my favorite songs that I've learned from the kids over the days is "I Want To Shine." They sang it last night as well. The rave was right after evening worship, and I danced with a group of kids to songs that we requested ("Stir Fry" by Migos and "Robbery" by Juice WRLD). A few others and I pumped up the crowd with those songs. We used the rest of our rave time dancing with our new friends and taking videos and pictures with them.

At 9:30 we came back for a short reflection and girl talk.

At this point in the trip, I was starting to feel really emotional as we knew the kids would be gone the next day. We used the rave as an opportunity to dance and have fun for the last time with all our new friends.

That's all for yesterday.

Thorne out.

No comments:

Post a Comment