Thursday, June 20, 2024

Day 2–Knox

Yesterday we went to St. Francis Episcopal Church in Fortuna and weeded the garden. We all got up and out of bed before Mike had to start phase one of the wake up. We got to St. Francis and they treated us to a lovely church service before putting us to work. The majority of the congregation of St. Francis are in their seventies and are not physically able to get on their hands and knees and work on the garden. It's a small congregation with not a lot of funding and the community was hit with a magnitude 6.4 earthquake in 2022. We weeded for about 2 hours before they gave us sandwiches and home baked goods. After lunch we continued weeding for about another hour or so whilst waiting for Henry and Jude to arrive.

I helped an adult volunteer gut the rose garden of weeds and that experience turned my limbs into linguine from how many little cuts there are. I found the experience very satisfying and relaxing. The adult volunteer I worked with let me talk about history with her and I greatly enjoyed it. It was overall a great experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment