Monday, June 21, 2021

Day 1: Bayview Mission

Out of sight, out of mind. I was reminded of this saying this morning at work when I accidentally forgot I placed a box of sparkling water underneath the shopping cart. Coincidently, this saying applied throughout the day. It is easy to forget about those around us or "problems" when they do not affect us or when we do not see them. However, out of sight and out of mind, does not mean it has stopped. Today, the SMV Youth Group did its best to address this issue of social injustice. We served at the Bayview Mission. The Mission was started by an Episcopal Deacon who turned her grandparents' house into a space to distribute food & other supplies needed by the community. During our day, we helped clean boxes in order to distribute journals, notebooks, lined paper, markers, pencils, pens, glue sticks, etc. to families in need. We cleaned the yard of the house which distributes all these supplies by moving plants, a toilet, a bathtub, and fitting bricks under a child's playhouse. People packed lunches and filled little hand sanitizer bottles all of which would later be passed out to those who came by the house or later be delivered to homes around the neighborhood.

A service such as today's brings to mind my privilege. My privilege of waking up each morning knowing I will have food on my table, knowing if I need school supplies I have the money to go to the store to buy them, and knowing that I don't need to choose between going hungry or having a shelter. The most important part of realizing this privilege is that I can do something with it. I realize that everyone should have, but does not have equal access to economic opportunity. Throughout this week, I hope to learn more about my City's societal inequalities and learn what small part I can do to help those in my community.
—Sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment