Sunday, July 2, 2023

Day 10 Cia

Well. Happy birthday to me (thanks guys for making it one of the best ever. And thanks to my parents- I made it to (sorta) adulthood, largely because of you).
Today was a very calm day. We went to Lake Victoria, about a two or three hour drive from the Nambale magnet school. When we got there, we went to a sort of beach resort. We waded in the water, played pool, and watched Amy geek out over a bunch if different aquatic animals. We ate fresh fish for lunch and watched as a birthday party played in the sand across from us. After, we drove through the nearby fishing village and waited for some of the people who went with us to buy some fish. We got home at about 7 pm, cleaned the house, packed, and got into bed early in anticipation of an early start the next day.

I found today enjoyable, but it brought up a lot of mixed emotions. It was our last day at the Nambale Magnet school, and though we haven't spent much time there since the kids left, it was strange to think we'd be leaving the house we'd called home for 10 days. Much as we might wish to come back, it is likely that some or most of us never will. It is such a special place, and I know we will hold it in our hearts forever. I'm already missing the kids I grew close to over the past few days, their enthusiasm and love of learning. They are all special, beautiful people, and I am truly blessed I got to know them, even for a short period of time. It breaks my heart to be leaving.

At the same time, I am so, so excited to get to go in the safari tomorrow. And, God willing, this will not be my last visit to this school or to Kenya.

No comments:

Post a Comment