Thursday, June 22, 2017

"That's where Elvis Presley got his Chalupas!"

Today woke up to the sound check from the Stadium next door. After the others started to trickle in we began breakfast of bacon, eggs, pop tarts about and toast. Due to the expired milk bought last night, cereal was not an option. I made Mack a plain omelette and Mike burned 4 pieces of toast before we switched duties. Afterwards, we went down to The Peabody to see the ducks. Personally, I was not that impressed, and me and Mike had to "duck" into the clothing store (I was not impressed with this either). Then we went to Walgreens, where I found much more fashionable options, as well as even more junk food. We came back to the condo for a bit and then walked down to FedEx Forum to catch the shuttle to Graceland. Upon our arrival we found out that A) everything is overpriced there and B) their internet was down and they were accepting cash only. Riley, Mack, Elsa, Lizzy and I went to the food court (of course I had to get the peanut butter and banana sando) while Mike went in search of an ATM. Once he came back we went to a seven minute movie about Elvis (causing quite a scene after the ticket lady told Elsa she looked just like her father, I.e. Mike). Following the movie we were shuttled yet again to the actual mansion where we did an iPad tour, which I wasn't a huge fan of. The house itself was fine, but it was weird walking around in silence feeling inclined to whisper. Once we saw every invoice for every piece of furniture Elvis or his parents ever bought, we went back to the museum. I have to admit, it is impressive how much they turned one man's relatively short life into quite possibly the longest museum tour of all time. And Mom! I got a picture with the Buubs! It was admittedly a very fun museum, although that is also due in large part to the people I went with, who I am quickly learning more and more about and liking more with every minute. We came home and I think it's fair to wager every one else on that bus was glad to see us leave after all of the noise we were making, mostly laughter. We warned Riley of every grate on the ground and looked silly in our ponchos after the downpour stopped after a block. We came back to the condo and everyone did their own thing for a bit before dinner at Rendezvous. (Thank you to Tom Austin for the recommendation.) The food was delicious, and I ate more ribs I think than I ever have. We got milk that actually tasted like milk, saltines for the challenge, and frozen edamame for Riley's toe before heading back for card games and hair straightening (never again).
    After a day and a night in Memphis, I am finally considering a revision to my "West Coast only" future. I really love the city, and am so glad that I get to experience it with these people. I am looking forward to Arkansas, and will check in again soon.

Love,
Ryan 

No comments:

Post a Comment