Thursday, June 23, 2016

Day 2: Stella

I started off day 2 by waking up around 8, with the night before consisting of some pretty weird dreams, but im not going to go into detail on that. It was a slow morning considering we were all still jetlagged. Finally, all of us (Riley, Ginny, Maddie, Virginia, and I) were up and ready to start the day. A few of us took showers, with them being either burning hot, or freezing cold because there was no adjustment handle, you had the heat on or off. Then, I had a mini banana, made some toast in a pan and put some pineapple jam on top. (I still have mixed feelings about the jam) Since we were staying at the director of the school, Evelyn's house, we got picked up and drove the short drive to the school. Once there, we got geared up in our coveralls, ready to paint the newly built guest house. Some of us with rollers, some of us with brushes, we started to paint the undercoat. After a few hours, when we were all pretty tired from painting and being in the sun all day, it was time for lunch. The meal we had consisted of rice, beans and corn, lentils, beef, watermelon and pineapple. After lunch, we were waiting outside, and I went to the bathroom. Then I proceeded to get stuck in there for a few minutes, and when I finally got myself out, I went outside only to find that the group had left me. After a few minutes of looking and asking around, someone pointed me in the right direction, and I met up with everyone by the classrooms, about to join a few of their classes. Virginia, Maddie, and I went into the 8th grade math class. It was really interesting to see how different their class was from my 8th grade class, just this this past school year. The class started by the teacher walking in and all of the students standing up in unison and reciting a greeting to the teacher. After that, we learned about buying, selling, and profits. It was cool to see the different way they solved equations, and to teach them the way that we do it. It was also cool to see how interactive the teacher was with the students. Every once in a while the teacher would say something like "are we together?" And the students would respond with a "yes" all at the same time. He would also have them finish his sentences about what they just learned. After the teacher left, we, being Maddie Virginia and I, each had a students who  gathered around us and we started to talk. First we just had some small talk, "do you like the weather?" Or "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Then they asked me what my best subject was and I said spanish, so they asked me to teach them some. Then I asked them to teach me some Kiswahili. After we exchanged languages, we decided to exchange some dances and songs. Then we all went down to the field got our hair braided while we sang miley cyrus and played until dinner time. After dinner we had a group meeting about our day and then we all went our separate ways to bed. When we arrived at our home for the time being, we got ready for bed and tucked our mosquito nets in. We read for a little bit (mom, if you are reading this, I'm not reading the book you told me to) and then turned our lights off to get a good night's sleep for the day ahead.
From,
Stella

1 comment:

  1. Great post Stella. I'm sure the big kids loved your dance moves!

    ReplyDelete