Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 1: Joey

Before I start talking about my experience in Kenya so far, please excuse my writing quality. I am writing this on a cell phone while playing Kenyan kids. Im still getting over the fact that I'm on the opposite side of home. Kenya, so far, is awesome. I'm going to skip talking about all the traveling we did because it was what you expected it to be- boring and terrible. So we arrived at the Nambale Magnet School around 12:00 pm and we were warmly welcomed by Evalyn, the founder of the school. We were told by Evalyn that we were going to be given a days rest so we could be prepared for tomorrow. This was a relief considering we were all exhausted. However, we were also very anxious to start our adventure so we started playing with the kids who happened to be at reccess. I was surprised by how excited these were to see us and I noticed that the simple pleasures made these kids very happy. By just waving and smiling made them extatic. We played for a while and then got a tour of the estate while the kids were in class. The tour of the place was cool and I was very impressed. Apparently, a lot of there food is grown on the estate. The school estate has chickens, pigs, cattle, and a massive garden. After the tour, we had tea time (thank you England) and I got to talk to a group of 5th graders. To my surprise, they enjoyed discussing politics in Kenya and in the US. We then had dinner, which was delicious and reflected on the trip so far. We hit the hay after dinner and got a good night's rest.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Joey. I would love to hear more details about where you are sleeping, what you are eating, what the weather is like etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...and more photos! It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete