Thursday, June 28, 2018

Day 7

Today we covered a lot! First, we learned about restorative justice from a dean of an inner city public school in Oakland. Restorative justice is a system that focuses on rehabilitation rather than punishment by emphasizing the feelings of the victims, considering the perspective of the perpetrator and encouraging and facilitating conversations between both parties. In this particular school restorative justice lowered the suspension rate by 87%. We then talked about implementing restorative justice in our court system and on a smaller level in conflicts in our own lives. I really loved learning a way that could eliminate many problems we face in our society, like overcrowding in prisons, repeat offenders, and the fact that the victim doesn't always feel recognized. After learning about restorative justice I am very inspired to implement it in my own life and I wish that my school had a focus on it.

After lunch we had a panel of high level Episcopalians Skype in to discuss relevant issues, such as the separation of children at the border and racism, with us. I found having many perspectives very valuable to building my own opinion. Also, I was inspired by the people to use my faith to act in the world, whether in the church or in politics. After lunch and free time, an indigenous woman from the Pomo tribe named Rose came to talk to us about the suffering the people on reservations face and the historical trauma that haunts them. Talking with her about the past was a visceral reminder of the alcoholism and suicide that remains in their communities today. However, along with the pain, Rose also taught us about the vibrant culture of the Pomo people. I learned about their expertly woven baskets, usage of tule reeds, vibrant dances, and spiritual practices. I loved learning about full integration of the surrounding environment. It inspired me to respect natural non invasive species and conserve finite resources. I also liked to learn about the spiritual practices of other cultures; when we did a Pomo traditional prayer using sage I felt like I was learning about my own spirituality from another angle.

- Camilla

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment