Friday, July 3, 2015

Diana: Friday

The Final Final -  I guess it seems only fitting that I write the final blog post, as today marks my mission trip graduation of sorts. Mission trips have offered me opportunites to travel, to meet new people, to learn new cultures, and to activate/feed my faith in God. Wyoming was my fifth and final mission trip and as I board the flight home to San Francisco I can firmly say it has left me no less refreshed, revived, and renewed as in years past. 

Over the years I have become very comfortable with the idea of service... I have defined it through my experiences, have written about it for college essays, and use it quite easily in conversation...yet this week in Wyoming brought my understanding of service to new heights. These are some of the people and interactions that made it happen: 

Ms.Polly showed me how to express sincere, and heart warming gratitude. 

The kids at Kids Club reminded me of my love of soccer, playing with kids, performing, arts and crafts, and just how privileged and blessed my life really is.

Steve, a parent from Arkansas, showed me how to be the most steadfast, loving, and willing server - and how I can serve far beyond the initial call. 

Each sunset, lake, mountain, waterfall forest and buffalo reminded me of the worlds natural beauty and how vital it is that we protect it.

The St.Mary's group inspired me to stay focused and continued to remind me how fun service can be when alongside friends.

...and much, much more. 

Service is integral to my identity, and for this I partly blame these mission trips. While I often miss the laziness of summer, friends, and comforts of home (this week I especially ached for my matress!) these mission trips continue to be highlights of my summer, and the past mission trip weeks accumulate to some of the most meaningful times of my life. Thank you all for affording me these experiences...you cannot begin to understand their effect on me. 


- diana silvestri 

No comments:

Post a Comment